This was formerly the residence of the town Cowherd, the man responsible for overseeing the animals grazing on the Common. In 1762 the cottage was rebuild and enlarged, this inevitably led to an increase in rent. The Cowherd found this increase difficult to meet due to the decline in the use of the Common for grazing. In order to supplement his income he began selling beer from his house. This proved so popular that it eventually overshadowed his traditional duties. In 1789 the building was leased to a firm of brewers and became an inn and has been so ever since.